Beyond Surveying and Engineering

In Person

R.A. Smith National, Inc. Knowledge Blog

Stay Connected on WDNR Wetland and Waterway Permitting Changes

by Tina Myers 25. February 2013 08:30

There have been many changes over the past year regarding the WDNR’s wetland and waterway permitting process.  For example, DNR launched an electronic online permitting system for Individual Permits (IP) about a year ago which helped streamline the permitting process.  While many activities have an online process currently available, there are still some activities that do not. If you have a project planned, it is important to check the website for updates. A link to the WDNR’s article regarding this new online system can be found here:

Here’s another brief update regarding General Permits (GPs) for wetland disturbance:  In addition to Individual Permits (IPs) for wetland disturbance, there are also currently two types of GP applications available that are specific to project type; one of them is for “Commercial, Residential, and Industrial” projects, while the other is for “Municipal Highways, Bridges, Arches, and Culverts.”  We can expect to see other GPs specific to “Recreational Use” and “Utilities” hopefully in the near future.  For those familiar with the Practicable Alternatives Analysis (PAA) process pertaining to wetland disturbance, there are also activity-based PAA Supplements currently being drafted by the WDNR that should also soon become available.  These supplements will help guide applicants through the wetland impact avoidance/minimize analysis which must be considered by each applicant.  For more information about wetland permits click on this link:

If you have any questions about the current permit process or need wetlands and waterways delineated for your project, the ecologists at R.A. Smith National can provide the assistance you need.  Please contact Tina Myers at (262) 317-3389 or Heather Patti at (262) 317-3361.

Tags: ,


Powered by BlogEngine.NET